** Exam/Evaluation and Syllabus files will be added to your cart with this item.
- Explain the concept of the gut-brain axis, and its implications for health and disease.
- Describe how microbes and their metabolites communicate with the body and the brain.
- Explain how the microbiome-gut-brain axis influences the development of neurodegenerative, neuropsychiatric, and neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Describe how microbial metabolites regulate immune and metabolic pathways in the body, and how this may impact risk of allergies, autoimmune diseases, obesity and diabetes.
- Explain how the ecology of the oral microbiome impacts both gut and systemic health; discuss implications for modern-day oral healthcare.
- List potential microbial and gut health disruptors, as well as therapeutic strategies to improve gut and brain health (to become “ecosystem engineers”).
- Describe ways in which the highly complex gut-brain scientific research has been oversold and misinterpreted by the lay press.
- Identify red flags of “pseudoscience” to become a healthy skeptic.
- Describe how the information in this course can be utilized to improve patient care and patient outcomes.